WELDERS AND WELDING EQUIPMENT
To start with the basics of welding you might need to take up a class or find an expert who can perfectly teach you how to weld. For basics of welding, you will require an electrode, feed, safety gear. If you are unsuccessful in learning the basic safety measures and requirements of welding, you can damage your eyes or burn yourself. Down below we have mentioned equipment for welding that you will require in the initial days.
- TLDR: wire feeds make welding an easier process than it is when you clean the metal to be welded with a degreaser that will help to make the weld stronger. When you grind along the edges that you are planning to weld, will help the liquid metal to penetrate deeply into the joints. Always clean the weld by lightly filling it, don’t overdo the step as it would break the weld.
- MIG and TIG welders: these are the most common welders that are used at basic projects at home and by hobbyists. Most of the people buy it because of its affordable price and that it needs less space for storage. But the electrode that is in the stick welder needs to be replaced frequently as compared to other forms of welding.
- Charged electrodes: The electrodes are the tip of the tool that passes the current from the welder to material that is being welded. It makes it so hot that it changes into liquid. In the case of the stick and MIG welders, the type of metal and the heat to melt decides the type of electrode tip required. But the case is not the same with MIG welders as the electrode is made up of non–consumable tungsten and therefore, it doesn’t require replacements.
- Electrode feeds and wire: there are few welds that require a feed to strengthen the joint because of geometry or weakness of the weld. Stick welding uses electrodes to feed and MIG welding often uses a wire as a feed. Whereas, TIG welding uses a feed because of its non-consumable nature.
- Other tools: there are various tools other than those that are required for the process of welding. Most of the welders use an angle grinder to smooth out the joints, wire brushes to clean the metal surfaces or to remove the corrosion before welding. Tools such as a hammer, C-clamps, ball peen, electrode tip cleaners, flint strikers, needle nose and linesmen cutting pliers are also must. Other than these above-mentioned tools you can also keep tools such as cold chisels, flat – head and Phillips screwdrivers, flat files, levels and squares in hand.
- Safety equipment: these are the must as because of high-temperature involvement, one needs high safety. Welding is highly dangerous and can be dangerous if it is not handled properly. Before you start the welding process you should wear a welding helmet that will protect your face from sparks and gloves to protect your hands.
These were some of the basic equipment that is required by welders. If you want to be a welder then you will require certification in welding. If you are in Kerala and want to be a welder then, there are various best welding training institute in Kerala that will provide you with the welding certification in Kerala and welding training in Kottayam.