Welding is a process of fusing materials such as metals and thermoplastics so that they seamlessly join together. It involves the process of applying heat and pressure to the material by combining the filtered material. Working with metal is a difficult process but is empowering at the same point. Welding is a process that has evolved overtimes, many new welding techniques has come up. It requires practice and regular work, much equipment are involved in the process. Down below we have mentioned different types of welding.
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW/MIG): Gas metal arc welding is the type of welding in which shielding is used along the gas electrode and it heats up the two metals to join them. This type of welding requires a direct current power source and constant voltage. GMAW is the most common method used in the industrial welding process and has four main methods to transfer metal: short-circuiting, spray, pulsed spray and globular.
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW): in this particular type of welding the welder follows the manual process that involves stick welding. The stick used in the process uses electric current to create an electrical arc between the stick and the metals to join them. This type of welding is often used in the construction of steel structures and industrial fabrication to weld steel and iron.
- Gas Tungsten Arc Gas Welding (GTAW/TIG): this is the most common method used while welding together the thick sections of non – ferrous metals and stainless steel. This type of process is also an arc welding process but it uses tungsten electrodes to produce the weld. The downside of this type of welding is that it is much more time consuming when compared with other welding methods and is complex too.
- Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW): Flux cored arc welding technique is the alternative to shield welding. In this process, a semi-automatic arc weld is used to construct the projects. All thanks for its amazing work go to its high welding speed and portability.
- Plasma Arc Welding: plasma arc welding is a technique that is précised and is usually used where the thickness of metal is 0.015 of an inch and is also used in aerospace applications. It is very similar to TIG welding, the only difference lies that the electrode is recessed and the ionizing gases inside the arc create the heat, that is required for the process. One example of its use can be on an air seal or an engine blade. This type of welding is very common in the aerospace industry.
- Electron Beam And Laser Welding: electron beam and laser welding techniques are the type of welding techniques that require high energy and are extremely precise. The plus point this type of welding technique is that they don’t have any gas contamination in the process and are widely accepted in all the industries.
These were various types of welding process that are commonly used in different industries. Nowadays, there are various types of welding machines that are used on different types of welding joints. There are various types of welding jobs and they offer good salaries. Most of the time welders get jobs in mining, agriculture, construction and maintenance sectors. As we have mentioned above it is dangerous but an empowering job, therefore, you need to maintain all the needed precautions.